Chicken is an easy food to cook so we love to store them but how long can you keep the chicken in the fridge? It’s important to know this because you don’t want to waste your money thinking that you still have some chicken to cook for other days. And then realize that it has already gone bad. Then you would have to buy new ones. For storing and chilling wine, here are the top 10 best wine fridges.
You need to know what signs are there that your chicken is already spoiled. But of course, prevention is always better so better to be aware of how long can you keep the chicken in the fridge. Here are some of the signs of spoiled chicken in the fridge.
There are two ways that you can store chicken. You can store them in the lower fridge or freeze them in the freezer. This is depending on when you think you would need to cook them. If you buy chicken and know that you will use them the next day, it’s best not to freeze them. Because then you would have to deal with thawing or defrosting them which takes time.
- You can freeze your chicken if you need to store them for a longer time. If you have limited space in your freezer, you can transfer the chicken from its original packaging into smaller containers. Make sure it’s properly sealed.
- Freeze the chicken when it’s still fresh or right after you buy them. You can put it first in the quick freeze compartment and transfer it to the standard freezer once it’s frozen.
- An important thing to note if you’re going to freeze your chicken is that it is only recommended to freeze chicken for up to 4 weeks. After a month, you will notice that your chicken will have signs of freezer burn and it is no longer best for cooking.
- To defrost your chicken, you should cover them and leave them overnight in a suitable container inside the fridge. Chicken portions defrost quicker. Do not refreeze defrosted food.
How Long Can You Keep Chicken in the Fridge?
You can store raw chicken in a fridge at 40 degrees Fahrenheit or lower for several days. It’s approximately only 4 to 5 days if not in the freezer. This is how long can you keep the chicken in the fridge. This will also depend on the freshness of the meat when you bought it and the temperatures it was exposed to during transport. The packaging is also a factor.
Some Tips When Storing Chicken in Fridge
Knowing how long can you keep the chicken in the fridge, here are some other helpful reminders that you need to take note of when storing your chicken.
- If raw juices are leaking in the original packaging, it’s best to remove the chicken and transfer it to a bowl and cover it with wax paper or foil. You can also wrap it tightly in plastic. Do this before placing the chicken in the fridge.
- Keep it away from other foods so the juices do not come in contact with them.
- Store it in the coldest section of the fridge, not the freezer if you need to cook it immediately.
You will have an easier time planning your cooking times when you know how long can you keep the chicken in the fridge so remember this guide.